Sunday, August 17, 2008

Farewell Az Hair!

So Friday was officially my last day at the salon where I have been working for the last year and a half. Although I have been contemplating quitting for about 6 months now it is still a bittersweet thing for me. Because I only worked there part time, the laxity of the salon has been very enjoyable. On the days that were slow (which were very abundant in the summertime) I was able spend my time there reading books. I have made a list of all the books I have read since I began working there and it is surprisingly over 20 books! Not that I only read at work but still I have read more than I have in any other time in my life. But the problem there is I'm not getting paid to read. I got paid by commission and so those days that I spend almost entirely reading were not very beneficial to my paycheck. At least I had another job so I was bringing in some money when things were slow. And from now on I will only be working at the doctors office. No more hair for me right now, at least not in a salon. I've had some good times there but it's not very wise to stay there just because I love being able to read. I will never be able to do that at the office. It is definitely a more structured job and it is worth it to bring in a steady pay rather than one that varies a ridiculous amount. I do enjoy doing hair but I can get my fill having people come to my house. A big advantage of that is I get the full $ amount rather than a small percentage of it.

4 comments:

Jenny Lynn said...

I didn't even know you did hair! Thats good to know :)

Ashley Carlon said...

HEY-you never told me you were going to quit. Now you get to be our own personal stylist!!

{Steve and Amanda} said...

I can't imagine getting paid on commission. So are you going to be working more hours at the doctor's office then? It's a bummer you won't be able to read more books. I cut Steve's hair again! I must say I am pretty dang good. Boy's hair is so easy to cut. I don't think I could ever cut girl's hair.

Kathy and Levi said...

It's so funny everyone we know that does hair ends up cutting hair out of their house rather than working at a salon. But I must say it is nice to have a steady pay check!