Friday, November 7, 2014

though we live on the u.s dollar, you and me we've got our own sense of time

I've been listening to "Hannah Hunt" by Vampire Weekend a lot lately and after each listen I love it more. the song depicts a road trip (from Providence to Phoenix) and it brings me back to our cross country trip which I am already nostalgic for. the song gives me feelings of adventure and nostalgia, similar to another one of my favorite road trip songs "America" by Simon and Garfunkel. in the song America it tells a story of a man and woman traveling and their adventures. they are out seeking to find America and they believe that it will help them to understand themselves and their place in the world. both songs are bittersweet maybe because their traveling brings some introspection about their relationships and what they want in life.

my favorite line in Hannah Hunt is "though we live on the u.s dollar, you and me we've got our own sense of time". I didn't quite understand it at first but now I have my own interpretation. to me it means that although traveling the country spending money is a necessity, they are not bound by doing things according to u.s time. in some sense they are outsiders to society. they don't have to be anywhere and the days and nights can blur together as they do things when they want. although our road trip was fast paced it was freeing to be able to decide where we wanted to be and when. our idea of time was according to our own constructs rather than a planned schedule. to me that is how life would be ideally but it is not always practical. it is nice to forget time every now and then though.

I love songs that don't have easily accessible meanings but the tone of the song helps in telling the story. near the end of the song his voice changes and the emotion in his voice makes the song for me.



 

No comments: