Friday, December 29, 2017

2017 playlist (best of!)

this has been an incredible year for new music! many of my favorite bands such as Arcade Fire, The National,, The Shins, LCD Soundsystem, Grizzly Bear, Phoenix, Fleet Foxes, have come out with new albums. I have been downloading music like crazy because of it and have been very happy with most of the albums. I have also discovered many new bands and rediscovered songs from some old favorites. although he comes from one of my favorites Vampire Weekend, I had never heard of Rostam before this year. he released a great song with Hamilton Leithauser that led me to looking up his solo album released this year. some of his songs have that VW sound while still being uniquely their own and the rest are incredible in their own right. he is probably my favorite new artist I discovered this year. I have been listening to more indie psychedelic rock or electronica (really don't have a good genre name for it- it is definitely not club music) like Tame Impala and or Of Montreal. I still love folk rock but I feel I am moving my primary taste away from it. Kevin Morby is a new artist I found and he plays folk rock that seems more modern rather than focusing on sounding like classic folk. 

I was never a really big fan of Phoenix until this year. I never really disliked them but wouldn't regularly listen to them when they weren't on the radio. I listen to a podcast called Song Exploder which I love. it has bands or musical artists break down how they wrote the music and lyrics to a particular song in about 20 minutes. even if I don't know the band I love listening to the song writing process. Phoenix was on the podcast talking about their new song "Ti Amo". I had never realized that they were Italian the whole time I've know about them. the episode was great and from there I found their video for "Ti Amo" on La Blogothèque. La Blogothèque is a french website that films bands playing their songs live in places likes an elevator or Palaces in Paris. or in Phoenix's case an old theatre in Italy, Teatro Bibiena. for some reason I couldn't stop watching this video- I'm not sure what I like about it so much but it made me love the song (and the band) even more. it does make me miss Italy though. Love you, Ti Amo, Je t'aime, Te quiero!

 
now to my playlist. this playlist is pretty long but honestly it was hard to narrow it down to 24 songs. it is a diverse collection of the songs I've loved this year- some are new this year but there are some older songs I've played on repeat mixed in too. I like to make these for myself but I thought I'd share it in case anyone else likes to discover new music like me. 

No comments: