Monday, May 14, 2018

Paris!!

in November '17 Jason and I traveled to Europe for the first time! I have dreamed of going my whole life and since we celebrated 10 years of marriage and my 30th birthday in '17 we decided to make it happen. it was so incredible and now I can't wait to go back!

since we went off season and chose a discount airline we were able to get a jaw-dropping deal for our tickets - $375 round trip!! we did have to fly from LA which added some to the cost. even though we didn't fly out til Monday we drove to LA Saturday so we could spend some time with our nephew who was there getting cancer treatment. we were able to stay at the same hotel as his family which was close to his hospital.

we flew out from LA Monday evening to Paris. we flew on Norwegian air and since it is a discount airline they don't feed you or give you drinks the entire unless you paid extra for it. the meal was $80 each so we decided to skip a meal and just eat snacks. they didn't even give us water the entire flight but we were able to buy water bottles and a sandwich. they had screens on the back of every seat so we were able to choose from many different movies or TV shows to help pass the time. 

we got to Paris 2 pm on Tuesday. we took a tram to the train station and then the train into Paris. I loved staring out the window on the train and getting my first views of Europe. we stayed at an airbnb in Paris and the lady met us right when we got out of the station. we had to climb up many stairs to get to the apartment since there was no elevator. the room was tiny with the shower and kitchen being in the same little room and the toilet across the hall. the lady that showed us in didn't speak great English but Jason was able to talk to her in spanish. about 5 minutes after she left us she came back in to say that it was the wrong room- then looked at something on her phone and corrected herself that it was actually the right room. it was actually a different room than the one they had pictured online but I was too tired to fight- plus she wouldn't understand me. I was just happy to be in Paris in a room. really the only good thing about the room was the window and the view. I look out the window and I see the Eiffel Tower for the first time and I got a little emotional. it probably didn't help that I was exhausted and jetlagged but it really was a magical moment for me to be able to see it for the first time- and the fact that we could see the iconic structure from our window! sure you had to crane your neck a little past the side of the building to see the whole thing but you could see it! 
we dropped off out luggage at our airbnb, changed and then went out to see Paris for the first time! we walked to the Eiffel tower which was only about a 15 minute walk. 
 the Eiffel tower is so beautiful lit up at night and every hour the lights twinkle for 5 minutes and it is pretty magical. we were able to see it a few times every night we were there.
 the Eiffel tower is so amazing in person and I loved seeing it up close and looking up into it. the details of the architecture are stunning.
 we were able to see the twinkle light show for the first time underneath the tower. 
it was so amazing seeing the Eiffel tower for the first time and being in Paris at nighttime but we were so exhausted. the jet lag was hitting us pretty hard at that point and it was a worse feeling than just being really tired. I had a headache and felt a little dizzy but we stayed out as long as we possibly can. we hadn't eaten anything for a while so we ate delicious crepes in front of the Eiffel tower. we got dessert crepes with nutella, strawberries, and whipped cream and they were wonderful. 
 we went and sat down by the Seine river and watched the Eiffel tower twinkle some more.
 I definitely would say the Eiffel tower is very impressive to see in person. even more so than I had anticipated. I had always heard that it is small when you actually see it but I didn't feel that way at all. there are so many negative things I have heard about Paris but I didn't feel like one of them was true.  
I'm a dork and Jason didn't want to get in my video- ha.
we walked to the Arc de Triomphe after that. it is huge and incredible. 

we walked back to our hotel and crossed the Pont Alexandre III bridge.
 we stopped at the corner supermarket for a little late night dinner/snack because we had only eaten crepes. that caramel yogurt was super tasty.
 that was the end of our first day in Paris! we were so exhausted and jet-lagged but so happy to be there.

No comments: