Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Ruined Songs

I really don't understand why musicians have to put swear words in their songs. If they are doing it to gain popularity then it is the wrong way to do it, because usually those songs are not played as much on the radio because of it...or they have to take the time to edit them. Most swear words I can tolerate because I hear them so often but F is one that always makes me jump inside. No matter how many times I hear it (I think one guy in my class said it about 30 times in a 5 minute conversation with his friend) it never ceases to upset me. So when I am listening to a great song and it suddenly sneaks its way in- my heart drops and it ruins the song for me. One song in particular I was listening to today got ruined by it. Its "Oxford Comma" by Vampire Weekend. Great, great song but that pesky little F had to ruin it again. I guess I forget that most people use that word like any other word and it doesn't have the same effect on them. I wish I knew how to get edited songs so during those songs I can keep my hand off the volume...for the ones I still listen to.

2 comments:

{Steve and Amanda} said...

I am SO with you on this. As much as I hate all swear words, the F word really makes me cringe. I can't believe how often it is used now. Growing up I know that this word wasn't used nearly as much. Other words used to be bleeped in the music but now they don't bleep those, only the F word and some sex/drug references. Also, more movies use it more so they have to go to a rated R. Don't they realize they will get better ratings if its not rated R? (because more people would watch PG-13 over R) I hate hate hate this word and I honestly think those who cuss ( like that guy in your class ) have a small vocabulary and they think cussing like that makes them sound cool, I guess. If someone is next to me (even if I don't know them) and they use the F word like crazy, I will glare at them and give them an "are you serious?" look and I will sometimes say something. Because really, why? They sound retarded and it's so offensive. (Long comment, right :)

Steve + Brindy Arnett said...

AMEN SISTA!! :)
i hate it when those "pesky" words sneak into the songs!! totally unnecessary!
and...i think cussing just sounds TraShY anyways!