Monday, December 22, 2014

light leaks & double exposures



I was looking through some childhood photos recently and I found these photos. they are full of light leaks, double exposures and terrible lighting. I am so glad they were kept because I can look at them differently now. before there were digital cameras "mistakes" like these could occur and often times the photos were just thrown out because of it. it was always a disappointment that the photo didn't turn out perfectly like expected. now that we have digital cameras we can make sure every photo has zero imperfections and we can also take a million of the same shot to be sure. it is also much easier to edit the photos on the computer rather than in the darkroom where you have to dodge and burn, or use other difficult techniques to make the photo appear how you want. that is what makes these photos so special and unique. it is their imperfections that make them somehow beautiful because in digital photography accidents like this don't occur. in the past few years there has been a resurgence in film photography and cheap toy cameras like the holga and diana. these cameras can take incredible artsy photos and are appealing because you don't always know how they are going to turn out. there are also apps that can produce similar effects and I have seen many photos on instagram with added light leaks or double exposures. it is a little humorous that with so much technology today we desire to make our photos look more imperfect. I think it is because perfection can become boring easily and its the imperfections that make things more interesting and more unique. (that is probably why I love vintage clothing so much. I love the history of it also I like things that are a little rough around the edges rather than something perfect and new you could buy at the mall.)

the first photo above is probably my favorite of the ones I found. in the center is my dad holding our old dog Brady as a puppy but it looks like it is about 4 photos in one. to the right you can see just his body holding Brady, to the left you can see our old dog Kelly, and in the top left you can see the windows in my parents house with some trees. I think it makes for a beautiful photo!

this next photo is our old pig Iggy with our old dog Kelly. it has a lot of beautiful light leaks.
this was our horse Gonda and the light leaks almost frame her perfectly.

I know this is a little bit of a silly post but I just wanted to take some time to appreciate these unique photos. I am glad that they were kept rather than tossed away and forgotten about. as I get more into photography I like to learn about all different aspects of it and unexpected elements that can make it beautiful.

No comments: