Thursday, September 17, 2015

San Francisco - Day 2

so I know I've been posting a lot of pics from this trip but I have so many and it is hard for me to narrow it down even more. I figure whoever cares to see pictures or hear about my trip can enjoy them if not then they don't have to look at them :). I plan on making a travel book from my blog like I did our last road trip. it worked out well blogging about it, then transferring it to blurb.com where I ordered the book. I just had to write that disclaimer so I feel better about posting so many pics! :) 

the next day we explored around our hotel a little and made our way to Lombard street. 
if you've never been to Lombard Street, it is a steep little street that zig-zags down for one block. the street is surrounded by beautiful flowers and plants. it is a popular tourist destination and there were many people there taking pictures. we started at the top and walked down the sidewalk on the side of the street. we saw some guys driving down the street and one would get out and take pictures of them driving down it at every turn. it was a little funny but they were lucky there weren't any cars behind them. there are people that actually live right off the street which I think would be a nightmare. 
 those purple flowers are so beautiful with the blue house.
 we continued walking around, exploring. we didn't ride any of the cable cars but we did ride a couple streetcars to get around. 
we went to Ghirardelli Square for some ice cream and chocolate.
 after hanging out by the water for a short bit, we went back to the Golden Gate Bridge to see it during the day.
we were going to ride bikes across the bridge but we decided to walk instead. we were glad we did because it was so crowded and we saw a lot of bikers walking their bikes. after the first pillar though it thinned out considerably, I guess most people walk to it and then turn around. we walked the whole way across and went to the lookout area on the other side. 
it was such a great experience walking across the bridge! definitely something I highly recommend if in San Francisco. I loved seeing the bridge up close and the view was excellent. 
 I like how the wind is doing crazy things with my hair in this pic :)
 it was cool being able to see the bridge from both sides. 
the walk back across the bridge was much quicker because I didn't stop to take pics. we then went to Golden Gate Park (which is not right by the bridge) and drove around a bit. the park reminded me a lot of Central Park in that it is a huge, lush park in the middle of the city. next time we are there I would like to spend more time there. we then went to the beach across from the park.
we got some pizza slices in Haight-Ashbury nearby and walked around. Haight-Ashbury was a huge part of the hippie culture in the 60's and 70's, and many psychedelic rock bands like Jefferson Airplane and the Grateful Dead often went there. today the street is full of vintage shops and thrift stores which is perfect for us :). I was excited to find a vintage dress in a thrift store which makes a nice little souvenir.
that was our last stop in San Francisco. I would like to go back during the tourist off season so that every place we go isn't so packed. next time though we won't have to do as many touristy things that attract people like crazy. it was still a great two days in the city and I feel like we saw a lot in our short time there.   

No comments: